Fall Wreath Project for Kids

10.12.2010

Fall Decorative Wreath Supplies

The other day while hiking I had the idea to collect some things for a project to do with a group of preschool age kids. That meant essentially that I called on Ethan and Zoey to be my helpers and they wonderfully agreed to collecting the above baskets of fall goods. :)

I then picked up some cheap paper plates and cut circles in the centers of all of them (I used my handy dandy Martha Stewart Circle Cutter which I love to pieces for this part).  

Fall Decorative Wreath

Next I took my paper plates outside and painted them (with some help from Zoey) with a neutral color (I chose buttercup) so that they would be ready for my group of preschoolers to start right in on.  If you were doing this with a smaller group of kids you could definitely let them do this part too.  I was just thinking of convenience.

Fall Decorative Wreath

Once the paint is dry, let the kids arrange and glue their fall treasures to their plates.  Punch a hole on the top of the plate's rim and string some ribbon or yarn through so that they can hang their beautiful fall wreath.  It's a pretty quick and easy project, something that's perfect for the attention span of a preschool age child and the bonus is that you get to tie it into a hike and get to collect leaves, pine cones and other treasures. It's a perfect opportunity to talk about the change in seasons and what that means to our plant life and our trees, etc.

Fall Decorative Wreath

They will feel proud too I am sure taking it home to mom and dad!

Fall Decorative Wreath

post signature

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Linda Barber said...

So clever and cute, Jen. And thanks for sharing this project. My 5 year old loves to pick up stuff when we take walks. And now we can put it to good use. (also, thanks for enabling on that circle cutter... LOL!)